NYC Media Lab challenged developers to drive media innovation by mashing up APIs, feeds, and data from New York City media and technology companies.
Media Mash 2012 is an application challenge from NYC Media Lab to create innovative media mashups using data, APIs, and feeds from leading media and technology companies. Winners will receive $10,000 in cash prizes as well as promotional exposure. Prizes will be awarded for the most innovative applications.
The Media Mash is open to individuals and organizations in the United States. Submitted apps can run on the web, desktop computers, tablets, and mobile phones. Developers will have approximately three months following the launch to develop their submissions. A panel of distinguished judges from the media and tech industries, venture capital, government, and NYC-based universities will select winners, and the general public will vote to identify a Popular Choice winner.
Media Mash goals:
- Drive media innovation through developer engagement with media-related APIs
- Connect media organizations with the developer community
- Encourage the media industry to develop their data/API offerings
How to enter
- Create an account on MediaMash.ChallengePost.com or log in with an existing ChallengePost account.
- On MediaMash.ChallengePost.com, click Accept this challenge to register your interest in participating. This step ensures that you will receive important challenge updates.
- Explore the data, APIs, and RSS feeds available from participating media organizations and others on the Resources tab of the challenge website.
- Create a working software application that uses at least one data set, API, or RSS feed from a participating media organization.
- Confirm that you have read and agree to the Official Rules, and submit your application by including a link to your downloadable app or website, a video demonstrating how it works, a text description of the app, and at least one screenshot of your working application.
Co-founder, New York Tech Meetup
President, Hearst Interactive Media
Director, MFA Design + Technology, Associate Professor of Media Design at Parsons The New School for Design
Partner, First Round Capital
Vice President, Video Technology Strategy, MTV Networks
Director of Venture Lab, Columbia Technology Ventures
Executive Director, NYC Media Lab
Managing Director, NYU Innovation Venture Fund
Partner, Union Square Ventures
Quality of the Idea
Includes creativity and originality
Implementation of the Idea
Includes how well the idea was executed by the developer, plus user experience and design
Potential Impact on Media Innovation
Includes whether the application offers a new user experience of content, a new means of distributing media content, and/or highlights a potential new media business model